Instagram

Wednesday 15 June 2016

Why Blog Design is Important ?


Blog design matters a lot to keep your post interactive and let your readers stick to your blog. One thing which I want to share as a reader but not as a blogger is, I hate scrolling . Specially when I have to scroll a lot.
I have seen many blogs using full post as post structure on the front page and maximum bloggers use post excerpts on the front page. For all those who are new to word post excerpts , Post excerpts are small snippet from your main post and generally display 4-5 lines in the front page, or category/tags page.
When I started blogging I used to show full post and few disadvantages which I faced with this method are :
Cons of Full posts on Homepage
Page load time : If I show 8 posts on front page, it increases the page load time and hence more load time means less reader friendly
Landing page : To counter the first point, I decreased the number of posts to 4 and it created problem in terms of , less number of posts on my homepage and my homepage is landing page for me. And thus bounce rate increased.
More Scrolling : Even in 4 or 8 posts on homepage, readers has to scroll a lot to go to bottom of the page and this again is not user friendly.
Later on I moved to post excerpts and some of the clear advantages which I saw after using post excerpts are
Benefits of Post Excerpts
More posts on front page : I have almost 8 posts on front page and when a readers land on my blog (especially on homepage) he can quickly click on any posts title which he finds interesting.
Less scrolling :  Since lost of posts are covered on the front page and with a little scroll readers can quickly navigate 8 posts. Again this increased the number of post views and decreased the bounce rate.
SEO advantage : As My category/tag and homepage have only the excerpt and only posts have complete post. It avoided any chance of post duplication issue. For this reasons I highly recommend Post excerpts.


To read next:

                       Things to work upon before starting an Online Business Blog

                       Blogger vs Wordpress: Which is better & Why?

                       Best Wordpress Guide for Beginners

Previous Post
Next Post

0 comments: